Friday, January 12, 2007

PAN the Pied Piper

What is it with bizarre behaviour and why does it follow me around?

Self doesn't exist according to the Indian government. No PAN number, no passport, no driver's license, no voter's I-card. Nothing to prove who I am. Ha!
All this was forced to change recently.
A few months ago, the accounts guys here insisted on a PAN number since they have to provide it to some chap at the income tax or so they say. So began the long procedure of getting a PAN. (Going to the site, opening the relevant page, getting a phone call and instantly forgetting everything PAN-related, right till when salary day came around and Mr Accounts Man would send reminder email to everyone above me in the food chain including self.
The problem with getting or even applying for the PAN, was that I needed a 'proof of identity' to hand in with the form. And since I didn't have one...
Finally in December, they stopped my salary till at least a receipt of application was provided. So self clung around to colleagues with connections who called people, suspicious chartered accountants, who said a company's identity card would hold.
Two weeks later, emails me back saying I sent him the wrong bank statement as proof of address and needed to send a current statement.
Another week passes and no sign of him or PAN number.
Self took the last week of the year off and strolled into the Dungeon on the 2nd with the accounts guy holding on the extension-line.
"Do you mind coming upstairs?" he asks.
"Why whassamatter?"
"What's your father's name?"
"Whaaa..?"
"What's your father's name?"
"Whaaa..? Whoo..?"
"What's your father's name?"
"Aah.." I give it.. There's a long pause and then he asks again, "Do you mind coming upstairs?"

Trudge up to the second floor and he waves a printout in my face.
"Do you know what this is?"
"Umm .. my PAN number?"
"Do you know you've had a PAN number for three and a half years?"

Well, I didn't actually.
So all that time I thought no one knew who the hell I was, they did! Dammit!!

2 Comments:

Blogger jerry said...

So dude, what's your PAN number?

1:41 AM  
Blogger The Dude said...

huh....
well will wonders never cease...

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home