Sunday, July 16, 2006

Nothing personal

The mountains always put things in perspective.
Post last Friday's office party, where certain events occured to change my mind about leaving, self sent this mail to boss at the paper I was supposed to join.

Hi xxxx
Apologies for the inconvenience.
Am currently in Manali and there's an issue with the roaming service here. I think a tower fell in the rain.

HR here did not get the copy of my increment letter in time for me to get it to Pallavi before I left.
However, since our meeting, other factors have made me realise that I am more a writer and a job at Xxxxx would leave me with very little time to explore that.
Advice from people I respect is that this is not the right time for me to move.
Additionally, over the weekend, I have gotten the opportunity to write for the main paper on issues and subjects that are of most interest to me.
Besides, I've been in this organisation only 10 months and if the questions Pallavi at HR was asking were anything to go by, I should stick around in one place for a little longer, rather than jumping ships every year.
I should have come by, met you and told you this, but then this trip happened.
Sincerest apologies for the inconvenience


He replies with this

all i can say is that you are an asshole. and i dont like being made a fool of, which you just did. which wasn't a smart thing to do.

If I am reconsidering a career decision, how does it involve making a "fool" of anyone?
Granted I accepted the offer, but there was nothing on paper, no offer letter, no resignation, nothing and I can't help it if avenues into the main paper here falling into place.
What is the need to take things so personally?
I am not interested in making a fool of anyone. Where would that get me?
I'm interested in what's best for me.

My dad always says, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Working where I am right now is a chiller job.
And by shifting just for the money, I'll be trading in comfortable working hours and a work environment that's just right.
Can't say the reaction is unexpected considering almost 30 people left that paper citing his violent, abusive behaviour.

4 Comments:

Blogger Arthur Quiller Couch said...

This so has to be Veer. Fragile ego and delusions of grandeur.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Pirate of the Arabian said...

Nah...

12:13 PM  
Blogger eM said...

I love the fact that you're putting in XXX like you're super-anonymous! But he SAID that? wow, what a jerk. you're better off where you are, i think.

6:04 PM  
Blogger Pirate of the Arabian said...

he didnt say that.. he EMAILED that!!!

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home