Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Damn the dilemma!!

Ex-ex-boss called this morning with an interesting proposition.

Features editor at a daily newspaper with at least 50% hike in pay.

Although the rag's reputation isn't quite as hot-shot as where I work right now, it belongs to a group that boasts some seriously hard-core journalistic experience, not to mention pots of money.
I see it as a challenge really, to turn around the paper (or the features section anyway), plus the pay is pretty fucking good, the work atmosphere there is chilled out and since I've worked with that group before, several staffers are either friends or "hey wassup man" associates.

What's really getting me kicked is that this is just my third year in this field where most of my peers have been at it since college with sundry internships and the like...

However, I've settled into this place quite nicely too and though there are the occasional piss-offs, it is quite comfortable.
Or complacent.


edit:
Ah.. fuck it..
I'm pretty happy with my scene here.
Probably just stick around and wait for National Geographic to get to town, hopefully some time next year.
People in office reading above post and asking, "You shouldn't say all this.. might affect the move.."
Huh?
I don't work for the KGB and I don't think resigning or joining a work place should be any big secret.
Straight up is always the best way.

second edit:
Just had one intense discussion with OneLeggedMonkey and The Dionysian over whether or not the above decision was the correct one.
OneLeggedMonkey was going on and on about how the money and the fancy visiting card can mean I can wrangle a deal to get back here or anywhere with a fatter wallet and juicier credentials.
That the book I'm trying to finish will get published faster with the former asset.
Maybe true, but I doubt it.
Doubt that it's true that is.
I really don't want to go through all the trouble to find out for sure anyway

The only 'journalist' job I really want after this joint is at National Geographic, the rest are all whatever.
I have no clue if I'm good enough, but I've wanted to work there ever since I first realised I could write. That and the stack of yellowing Nat Geo mags my grandparents left with us.

For me, if I have to think twice, I'd rather not do it.
I rarely think twice about anything.
It's really as simple as that.

4 Comments:

Blogger some girl i dont know said...

hmm.. editorship plus 50% hike , sounds like wings to me! also with reference to the sad woman at office ( from previous post)clearly ppl there have a nice load of prehistoric baggage.but really your call . it'll sorta be a pity though cuase i get HT and have always had this wierd "oooh i know this guy" feelin while reading something of yours like mr gilmour was living nextdoor or somethin. i know...juvenile

- bohosyncratic

10:13 PM  
Blogger some girl i dont know said...

nat geo .. i have that thing for lonely planet .. ever since they were on discovery.a job should never really be work ... it should be hard to drag your ass out of office rather than to get there right?

10:29 PM  
Blogger Pirate of the Arabian said...

With ref to Nat geo... hell yeah!!!

2:19 PM  
Blogger eM said...

ask them to take meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, she said, peladingly

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home